News in the sex industry over the past few months has left many sex workers unable to work. Even taking benefits has not been a possibility for most. One of the options allowing only some adult performers to spread their legs and show off for some solo photo shoots.
Other sex workers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania are now in a slightly better position than most, with huge thanks to Philadelphia Red Umbrella Alliance and Project SAFE. (two charitable organisations)
The two charities have decided to help the Philadelphia sex trade workers so they can get through this awful situation
A guide to sex during quarantine has been released by Pennsylvania, just like many other places around the world have.
What they suggest is:
- Masturbation will not spread COVID-19; this is your safest option. It’s still important to practice hand hygiene by washing your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds before and after (sing Happy Birthday twice). It’s also important to wash any sex toys with soap and water.
- The next safest option for a sex partner is someone who lives with you. Avoid having sex with anyone outside your household.
- At this time, it is still important to stay home and practice social distancing. If you do have sex with other people outside your household, limit the number of your sex partners.
- If you usually meet your sex partners online or make a living by having sex, consider taking a break from in-person dates. Get creative! Video dates, sexting or chat rooms may be safe and sexy options for you.If you are a sex worker and continue to have dates, we recommend:Screening your clients for symptoms.
- If your date presents with symptoms, you are taking a risk continuing the date.
- Cleaning/disinfecting your workspace thoroughly and after each date.
- Shower thoroughly after each client and change clothes.
- Washing up before and after sex is more important than ever. Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
There is a stigma that surrounds sex workers but while we are moving to try and remove those ideas sex workers will have a long and rough ride ahead until they are given the same treatment as us other civilians are.